Monday, September 5, 2011

Live Long and Prosper

Curtis loves Star Trek; I never got into it. I'm a Star Wars nerd. Just to illustrate what level of Trekkie I am:

1) I loved the most recent movie. I called it "thrilling," "fun," and "exciting!" Trekkies everywhere winced. Curtis, when asked, pronounced it "serviceable."

2) There's one movie I really like. It's the one with the Borg Queen. I have to ask Curtis every time which one it is. I always think it's Nemesis. I'm always wrong. He always tells me what it is. It's like I have a mental block, the same one I have with this one line in L.A. Confidential.

3) I watch the Tribble episode because they're cute. I fast forward through all the dialogue until I get to a particularly cute scene, and can't understand why they don't just let them take over.

We've been watching a lot of Voyager lately. I don't think these are optimum conditions for my Trekkie husband, really, as conversations like these occur routinely:

On That Thing on Her Face
Sally: What's wrong with her eye?

Curtis: She used to be a borg.

Sally: I know, but what's that thing? Why is that thing next to her eye?

Curtis: They had to remove all of her [some unintelligible technobabble].

Sally: But they left that.

Curtis: I guess they couldn't remove it.

Sally: They can make her hair grow back, but they can't take a thing off her face?


Curtis: I don't know. I guess I just don't know my Borg technology that well.


Sally: Can you look that up?

On Vulcans
Sally: So, wait, they have to have a Vulcan on every ship?

Curtis: I don't think they have to, but I think it's customary. Like you have to have a cat on every ship?

Sally: So, Vulcans are the cats of the future?

More on That Borg Girl
Trek Person to Borg Girl, on this one episode: You stay here with [terrified person] while we look around.

Sally: Why would they ever leave her with anyone? She's awful.

Curtis: Her soothing robotic tones ease the mind.

Sally: Ugh.

Curtis: What's worse is that the last three seasons, she was basically the focus of every episode.

Sally: Why?

Curtis: The nerds demanded it.

Sally: Nerds love boobs.

On Diversity
Sally: Did you ever watch Kids in the Hall?

Curtis: Yeah, he looks like that one guy.

Sally: Is that him?
Curtis: I don't know.

Sally: Has there ever been a gay character on any of the shows?

Curtis: You know, I don't think so. And there's some discussion about including a gay character in upcoming movies.

Sally: Huh. [pause] You know, when I asked that, of course I wasn't thinking of Patrick Stewart or George Takei.

Curtis: They're not characters.

Sally: Shut it.


No comments:

Post a Comment