Monday, January 9, 2012

Planning ahead

On the subject of one's demise, as we drive past a cemetery:

Sally: There are all these little marble benches over there. Are you going to have a little marble bench made for me when I die?

Curtis: No.

Sally: Well, what are you going to do?

Curtis: For what?

Sally: For me! When I die! What are you going to do?

Curtis: I don't know.

Sally: Well, you need to think about it. You need to throw me a big party when I'm dead, and you need to start working on this now, or you'll never get it done.

Curtis: I'll put Jim, or Carolyn, or Tracy, or someone in charge of it. I'll be too bereaved to plan your death party.

Sally: And by "bereaved," I'm assuming you mean "lazy."

Curtis: You got it. And make sure you tell them to remind  me to show up. That's what you were in charge of when you were alive, and once you're dead, I'll never remember to do anything social.

Sally: I'll also tell them to say "Is that what you're wearing? No, really" when they see you.

Curtis: It'll be just like when you were alive. Can you have them hang a sign like that on your casket?

Sally: Of course. But you can't put Carolyn in charge of my burial or anything. She'll have me taxidermied. Just the party.

No comments:

Post a Comment