Thursday, April 14, 2011

Poor Old Mulie

When Carolyn came to visit last weekend, we had a grand time. Among them, she provided a delightful quote. So, a special appearance: Quotes from Qarolyn!

On the subject of decorating one's house, after buying a taxidermied capybara head: "I spend a lot of time on eBay, looking for taxidermied peacocks. But they're really expensive. Like $1,000.00."

Which reminds me of another Quote from Qarolyn, on the subject of eating: "Let's not go to the Greek Festival. Let's eat vegan food and get enemas instead."

And a Conversation with Carolyn, which evolved in strange and wonderful ways:

Sally: Curtis, what would your parents have named you if you'd've been a boy? Jordan?

Curtis: No, Brendon.

Carolyn: Oh, neat. I was always a Carolyn.

Sally: If I'd been a boy, I would have been named after John Wayne's character in The Searchers. I would've been Ethan Edward Evans.

Carolyn: eeeeee!

Sally: I know, seriously. My mother, God love her, was really not all that great with naming things. I think I'm lucky that I'm not "Female Baby" or something. I was named after my two grandmothers, which could've gone really badly. I mean, I could've been . . . I don't know, Maudrine Hildegarde or something. I got off pretty easy with "Sally Roxayn." [If she'd gone with middle names, I'd've been Lou Belle.] Seriously, we had a grey cat when I was a kid. Its name was Grey. And Mom had a cat named Oreo. Guess what color it was?

Carolyn: Black and white?

Sally: That's correct. And we had another cat that showed up in July, and Mom wanted to name it Julie. Because we got it in July. And we had a dog named Wags. One guess why.

Carolyn: Wagged its tail a lot?

Sally: Yup. I got to name Godiva, or her name would've been "Brownie," I'm sure.

The conversation then turned to funny family stories, in which Curtis related the following:

Curtis: We were out to dinner with my parents once, and we started talking about dreaming, and my dad said, "I don't dream anymore." I said, "Sure you do, Dad, everyone dreams." He said, "Nope, I don't dream anymore. Haven't since I was 16, and my mule choked to death on a corncob." I totally wasn't expecting that, and I started laughing, but my dad was dead serious, and I felt terrible.

Then Curtis began to do his impression of a choking mule, which was quite hilarious.

Sally: Poor old mule.

Carolyn: If that mule would've been in your family, Sally, he'd've been named "Mulie," wouldn't he?

2 comments: